AW: [xsl] substitute &#13; with <br/>

Subject: AW: [xsl] substitute &#13; with <br/>
From: Markus Abt <abt@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:14:04 +0200
Hello Andrew,

Andrew Welch wrote:
>> Hello Alexander,
>>
>> this is probably a FAQ. It's also an XML topic not an XSLT one.
>>
>> Look to 2.11 "End-Of-Line Handling" in the XML spec.
>
>No, it's an html issue.  Carriage returns are normalised to a single
>space (I think) so to recreate their behaviour you need to use <br />

No, the original issue is clearly an XML one, as he wrote:
   "I thought of doing it with entities in the source XML
    like <!ENTITY #13 "<br/>">, but that doesn't work."

>I think your best plan of action is to modify your xml to replace &_#13;
>with <br /> (Im assuming that as you can insert entities this shouldn't
>be too much trouble).

This was exactly what Alexander was trying, without success. (or do
you mean: manually, with a text editor?)

>If however that breaks a DTD or is not possible, you will have to use a
>recursive named template that gets called from you text() matching
>template.  This can then use substring-before() and substring-after() to
>recursively replace what you need.

&_#13; cannot be matched or replaced with XSLT functions, as it has
been deleted by the XML parser.

>String handling like this will be much easier in xslt 2.0
>
>Cheers
>andrew

Regards,
Markus