[xsl] semantic xslt transformations

Subject: [xsl] semantic xslt transformations
From: Nathan Shaw <n8_shaw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:35:32 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I am working on a project where I will be receiving
different xml documents that contain essentially the
same content and vary only slightly in nomenclature.

For example, one document uses <firstName>, while
another uses <fName>, while yet another uses
<nameFirst>. They all "mean" the same thing and have
the same data, but are expressed differently.

To avoid having to write a separate xslt
transformation for each document, I have been looking
into creating a map that would tie together differing
elements and attributes in the xml documents I receive
to my end document's elements and attributes, thus
allowing me to only write one xslt transformation
using the map.

Has anyone done anything like this before? I have seen
a presentation on it by Joshua Fox, but his method
uses middleware. I am looking for a pure xslt solution
here.

Thanks all.

--Nathan

=====