Re: [xsl] In XSL FO: how do I repeat a piece of text other than the header or footer

Subject: Re: [xsl] In XSL FO: how do I repeat a piece of text other than the header or footer
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:55:56 +0100
> My question is how would I use XSL to "modify" or "repopulate" markers
> whenever the pages "hit" (or are incident upon) content from the "next"
> chapter.

That's not how they work. what you want to do is on every chapter (eg
when you make a block for the heading) put out a marker that contains
the chapter title (or an abbreviated version suitable for the running
head)

You don't modify those markers, they just stay in the main flow
then in your code for the running head you just "retrieve" the first
marker on the page (or last, or whatevr you need for the style of
running head you have).

The whole point is that XSL can not change your running head as it has
no page break information. Markers allow a limited amount of flexibility
of text that is generated after the page breaking has been done.

David