Re: [xsl] Planning for a xml/xslt Website

Subject: Re: [xsl] Planning for a xml/xslt Website
From: "M. David Peterson" <conners_dad@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:52:28 -0600
Hi Geoff,

The simpler way would be to take asp, php, coldfusion, etc... out of the
picture and just use the client to transform your pages.  In a perfect world
this would be a perfect solution.  However, as you said, you have no say as
to whether or not the end user has the capabilities.  This mean simply that
you must do the transform on your side.  Transforming on the server couldn't
be easier and ASP, PHP, and ColdFusion make the process childs play.

I can understand your concern of complexity of the files outweighing the
simplicity of the process.  But I have been down this road before and I can
promise you with no hesitation that the complexity is worth absolutely every
temporary bout of confusion that you will undoubtedly encounter along the
way.  But once you realize just how powerful XSLT is at rendering your data
you will never return.  And, if you build your XSLT files with the idea that
you want to be able to let the client to the work at some point down the
road youll be thanking yourself forevermore when that day finally arrives.

In the mean time, bite the bullet and keep in mind that what you can do with
3 lines of XSLT can take 15, 20, 30, etc.... lines of ASP or PHP or blah,
blah, blah...(calls to the database, open and closing the connection,
reading, writing, and sorting the data, etc...)  For transforming data there
IS NO BETTER SOLUTION than XSLT.  You will also find that the structured
syntax will be a welcome blessing as you compare it to the syntactically
challenged server side processing languages you are used to.

I came from an EXTREMELY heavy ASP development background.  I now develop on
top of .NET which is an excellent platform.  But as excellent of an
development framework as .NET is XSLT is that much better. After all is said
and done every variable is passed to my XSLT files through XslTransform and
I let XSLT works its rendering magic.

You will get used to the complexity and it will become an afterthought.  Don't
give it another thought... MAKE THE SWITCH! ;)

Best Regards,

M.David