RE: [xsl] Re: whats the best way to create and use values for lookup (key-value) such that you can loop through it with limits

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: whats the best way to create and use values for lookup (key-value) such that you can loop through it with limits
From: "SANWAL, ABHISHEK (HP-Houston)" <abhishek.sanwal@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:58:44 -0500
Dimitre,
Cc:
Wendell,
Michael,
Peter, & all other Grand Masters

I liked your example but there is one issue. Maybe I was not clear
enough in my previous explanation. (sometimes I confuse myself).

How can I use such a structure ( under another name space or under the
same (xsl:variable) and restrict its scope to a particular <template
match> that it is declared inside.

Basically for an output document that I am generating I have a template
match that allows me to generate tables on the fly using the content.
(Attached below.. this was posted by Wendell - I hope he is reading
this).

Now in the bigger picture I have

<template match "Chapter" >

<template match "Sections">

<template match "Paragraphs">

<template match "Matrix"> <!-- this is my table generator

Now my document has various chapters which have various sections where a
given section can have any number of matrices (matrix) and/or
paragraphs.

Now in the XSL for this I need to be able to HARD-CODE certain values
INTO A SECTION  that are to be used by all INNER TEMPLATES (namely,
Matrix, Paragraph, Items, SubItems etc.) ( But are NOT accessible to
other section matches

<xsl:template match="Section[@SectionHeading='MySectionSomething1']">
... Variables..
.. Parameters...
.. apply templates xpath...
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Section[@SectionHeading='MySectionSomething2']">
... Variables..
.. Parameters...
.. apply templates xpath...
</xsl:template>

Like so:

<xsl:template match="/Document/Chapter[@Name='ChapterName']">

then match

<xsl:template match="Section[@SectionHeading='MySectionSomething']">

-	 Matrix  - (the following here are Parameters but if they can
even be variables ) I am not sure which one to use yet. But will define
my requirements below

- Matrix Data -
<xsl:with-param name="MCAllWidth" select=""/>

<xsl:with-param name="MC1Width" select=""/>
<xsl:with-param name="MC2Width" select=""/>
<xsl:with-param name="MC3Width" select=""/>
<xsl:with-param name="MC4Width" select=""/>
<xsl:with-param name="MC5Width" select=""/>

- Head and Data Alignment -

<xsl:with-param name="HeadAlign" select="Center"/>
<xsl:with-param name="DataAlign" select="Left"/>

- Image Layout Frames -
<xsl:with-param name="ImageWidth" select="1"/>
<xsl:with-param name="ImageHeight" select="1"/>

<xsl:apply-templates select="."/>

</xsl:template>

Basically, this will allow US to keep the programmed stylesheets the
same but be able to apply different TABLE WIDTHS (matrix) and other
property attributes to the output elements.

For most of the other variables I can easily pick up the Variables. But
for the COLUMN WIDTH ... I want to add <col width ="{XXXXXX}"> tags and
be able to populate the widths using some kind of array or lookup table.

(ROUGH SKETCH):

		<xsl:variable name="MatrixColWidths">
			<xsl:
			<xsl:variable name="'1'" select="100"/>
			<xsl:variable name="'2'" select="200"/>
			<xsl:variable name="'3'" select="300"/>
			<xsl:variable name="'4'" select="400"/>
		</xsl:variable>

Or like this ( as shown on DPawsons FAQ as picked up from )
 - http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200004/msg00714.html
(Also the example test.xsl and class.xsl don't seem to work for me.. to
even test it out.. anyone suggest any fixes so I can see how it works)

<xsl:variable name="MatrixColWidths">
  <c colno="1" colw="100"/>
  <c colno="2" colw="75"/>
  <c codno="3" colw="80"/>
  <c codno="4" colw="75"/>
</xsl:variable>

(I am not sure if variables can be defined as above. In essence I am
trying get an array kind of thing or a dictionary object or a key value
pair thing that WOULD BE "LOCAL" to that
<xsl:template match="Section[@SectionHeading='MySectionSomething']">
and is placed DIRECTLY in the XSL inside that particular
<xsl:template match="Section[@SectionHeading='MySectionSomething']">

so that I can pick up the values for the COLUMN WIDTHS for ANY and EVERY
"Matrix or Table" in that Section by iterating through that array or
whatever other structure/variable I can use (xsl or non-xsl namespace)
but LOCAL to the Section.

I don't really care how this is done as I am not sure if I can define
any such structure, keep it local as well as be able to ITERATE through
it to pull values.

Any genius solve this one ?? :)

I ve been trying to abstract this problem out to the list but have been
getting nowhere.

Abhishek Sanwal
HP - Houston Campus
abhishek.sanwal@xxxxxx