Re: [xsl] Authority For Western Line Breaking Rules

Subject: Re: [xsl] Authority For Western Line Breaking Rules
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:46:46 -0500
Strunk and White's _Elements of Style_ is another key authority on English-language writing style. It defines exactly the rules I expected:

http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html#8

I suspect that this is about as authoritative as we will find. Otherwiser, it would be matter of analyzing standard practice to document the patterns that are used. That analysis would confirm the rules stated at the above URL.

In thinking about it, I think that the Annex 14 rules are stated in such a way that the rules are appropriate for languages that do not use space to determine line breaks without explicitly disallowing Western-style line breaking behavior.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber