RE: [xsl] Newbie: Embedding styles in XML blocks

Subject: RE: [xsl] Newbie: Embedding styles in XML blocks
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:33:59 +0100

> <xsl:template match="i">
> 	<i><xsl:value-of select="." /></i>
> </xsl:template>

You probably want <xsl:apply-templates/> there not <xsl:value-of
otherwise any elements inside your <i> element won't get transformed.

> Thanks, that did the trick. Actually genericized it a bit more to catch
> all undefined tags (see if that bites me later) such that:

Note XSLT does not have access to the tags in the document only element
nodes, which are ot the same thing (there's around twice as many tags as
elements, for a start)

  <xsl:template match="*">
    <xsl:copy-of select="." />
  </xsl:template>

similarly that would make any part of teh document below an unknown
element be copied verbatim without any transform, you probably want

  <xsl:template match="*">
  <xsl:copy>
  <xsl:copy-of select="@*/>
   <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

see that parallel "identity transfom" thread on this list over the last
couple of days.

David