Re: [xsl] pesky xmlns attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] pesky xmlns attributes
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:04:07 -0400
At 12:00 PM 10/1/2003, David wrote:
> Anyone have any clues they can share with this odd behavior. The

elements in the result have the names (including namespace names) that
you specify in the stylesheet if the elements are created in the
stylesheet, or had in the source, if they are copied from the source. If
the lineariser is inserting namespace declarations mid-document it means
that you are generating some elements in one namespace and others in
another. Apparently you want to generate them all in one namepsace (or
more correctly, for html, no namespace at all).

I have seen cases of processors inserting redundant namespace declarations. For example, I have seen Xalan (which version I can't say off hand, sorry, but this was recent) insert extra namespace declarations for namespaces which had already been declared on the document element, when lower-level elements were created in a call to a named template; when the identical elements are created through literal result elements the namespaces are not redeclared.

Needless to say, this can be a pain: not only is it unsightly, but also it frustrates validation in non-namespace-aware contexts such as with DTDs. (And we thought namespaces were optional.) Unfortunately I haven't been able to dig into the problem enough to see whether there's a better solution than simply not to use the call to the named template (which is obviously sub-optimal).

Without seeing your stylesheet though hard to guess what to change.

Sometimes it's hard to guess even when you *can* see it. :->

Cheers,
Wendell