Re: [xsl] encoding ISO-8859-15 error

Subject: Re: [xsl] encoding ISO-8859-15 error
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 21:53:24 +0200
Jorge IEspana wrote:
I'm reciving an XML file with encoding="ISO-8859-15", when I transform the
file I received javax.xml.transform.TransformerException. java.io
UnsupportedEncodingException ISO8859_15
If I use ISO-8859-1 it's work fine but I can't. I'm working with java.1.3
1_09 and just download xalan-j_2_5_1

It's the parser's job to recognize the encoding and act accordingly. You can use any JAXP 1.0 conformant parser with Xalan (I suppose you wont run into the few dark corners of the spec). Most people using JDK 1.3.1 use Xerces as parser if they work with Xalan, I guess you do so too. No XML parser is required to support encodings other than UTF-8 and perhaps UTF-16. So you cant just blame them for not supporting 8859-15, which is relatively new. Your options: - File a RFE with Xerces or whatever parser you use and wait until they implement support for 8859-15. If they just use the RTL facilities, they may tell you they wont do it though. - Get another JAXP 1.0 compliant parser which supports 8859-15. - Use a reencoding and stream-editing tool to adapt teh XML encoding (including the encoding declaration) before you feed it to the parser.

J.Pietschmann