Re: [xsl] Re: On XSLT 2.0 Writing Styles

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: On XSLT 2.0 Writing Styles
From: "Lars Nyman" <larsnyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:05:34 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
> > I would appreciate your opinion on how do these two styles --
> > long (20-line
> > +) XPath expressions versus xslt-structured style --  score in
> > +readability,
> > compactness, flexibility, efficiency and maintainability.
> I think the advantages of an XML-based syntax are:

I understand the answers to the following questions depend on how the two
stylesheets are written, but assuming they are done "in a similar way", e.g.
the f:foldl example Dimitre provided.

What about efficiency differences between the two approaches?  Do you think
it is likely that an XSLT processor will handle and process a stylesheet in
either syntax the same, or very similar, way?  Will they "compile into the
same internal instructions"?  Will the processor be able to apply the same
internal optimizations?
Or is it possible that an XSLT processor will be able handle a stylesheet
written in mostly XPath (or XSLT) more efficiently?

Lars