[xsl] generate XHTML header without causing xmlns attributes in e.g. <table>?

Subject: [xsl] generate XHTML header without causing xmlns attributes in e.g. <table>?
From: Flemming Jønsson <flj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:58:01 +0200
I need to generate valid XHTML 1 strict from my XSL stylesheet

My stylesheet starts with:
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>
<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="ISO-8859-1" doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" doctype-system="DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd" />

When I generate my XHTML document using Xalan-J, I get these headers in the XHTML file

		<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

Which is exactly what I want.

However, my tables cannot validate using w3c's validator, since they get an empty attribute with the name xmlns, like this:

Also the XHTML tags inside the table (not td/tr but all others) also get the xmlns attribute which has no value and they also get an xmlns:fo attribute like this:

How can I generate valid XHTML1 without having those xmlns attributes inserted in table and <br>?
If they must be there, how can I control their value?

Regards,
Flemming Joensson