Re: [xsl] specifying html doctypes using xslt literal result stylesheets

Subject: Re: [xsl] specifying html doctypes using xslt literal result stylesheets
From: "S. Alexander Jacobson" <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:38:58 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Wendell Piez wrote:
> >How do you specify an HTML doctype when using the
> >XSLT "Literal Result Element as Stylesheet"
> ><http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#result-element-stylesheet>?
>
> This feature of the language isn't actually all that widely used in my
> experience (it's almost never asked about here, which indicates either it's
> rarely used, or works so perfectly no one ever asks about it) -- hence, not
> such a FAQ....

Perhaps it isn't widely used because it is broken...?
Why is it in the spec?  It is also in the 2.0
spec...

> >You need an HTML DTD or else browsers won't render
> >XHTML transitional output correctly....
> >
> >If you can't do this, then the HTML examples in
> >section 2.3 of the XSLT 1.0 spec are *very*
> >misleading...
>
> Well, since XSLT 1.0 was finished and made it to Rec in 1999, and XHTML
> first saw the light in 2000 ... and browsers have taken even longer to
> catch up ... it's perhaps forgiveable if XSLT has failed to anticipate all
> the challenges of deploying XHTML.

XML was finished in 1998 and had DOCTYPE.  They
supported DOCTYPE in xsl:output so they obviously
weren't ignoring it....They haven't depracated the literal
result stylesheet in 2.0.

This HAS TO BE possible.

-Alex-