[xsl] Re:Escaping quotes in XPath expressions

Subject: [xsl] Re:Escaping quotes in XPath expressions
From: yguaba@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:00:08 -0200
Here's "wrap-up" for anyone following this thread.

On 17 Nov 2003, David Carlisle wrote:

> You mean xslt 1.0 here (there never was (and never will be) an xslt
> 1.1 just a draft that was never coompleted to a recommendation)

Actually, I did mean XSLT 1.1 ? sorry about that! My reference was "Inside XSLT" by
Steven Holzner (2001), but that book is obviously completely outdated by now.

---------------------

On 17 Nov 2003, Michael Kay wrote:

> <xsl:variable name="quot" select='"'/>
> <xsl:variable name="apos" select="'"/>

On 17 Nov 2003, David Carlisle wrote:

> If you want to do it using select then you need teh Xpath expression
> "'" and to put that expression into an XML attribute you need either
>
> select="&quot;'&quot;"
> or
> select="'&quot;'"

I tried both solutions but only the second one (David's) seems to work. The processors I
used for the test were IE 6's and Netscape 7.1's build-in processores and PHP's
Sablotron (PHP v. 4.3.4). (Forgive me if Sablotron is not the actual name of the PHP
processor; I get confused.)

---------------------

On 17 Nov 2003, Michael Kay wrote:

> Dimitre thought you were actually trying to use translate() to replace one
> character by several. If that's the case, then he's right, you can't do
> it.

Dimitre was right, but after I found out that 'translate()' wouldn't do what I needed, I
thought I might as well dig into this and learn a little.

A million thanks to Michael, Dimitre and David for spending some of their valuable time
trying to help me. Hopefully other people will also have learned something from this
thread.

Erik