Re: [xsl] XSL to PDF - Overlayed graphics/text

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL to PDF - Overlayed graphics/text
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:35:56 -0600
Manuel Reyes wrote:

The first of these is that I want to be able to use over-layed text /
graphics within the PDF.  For example, lets say I create multi-page PDF
customer order confirmations, once the customer confirms they have
received the goods, I want to overlay the words "Fulfilled" diagonally
across the entire document.

If FOP supports block-container you can use an absolutely-positioned block container to overlay the text. If you want it to be diagonal, you will need to use a graphic for the text (easy to do with EPS or SVG).

The one limitation may be support for Z-order--if your FO implementation doesn't support Z-order or doesn't default to the behavior you want you may not be able to force the text to overlay the region-body content.

Z-order is the property that determines the vertical stacking over overlapping areas--a higher Z-order value should be rendered above (on top of) areas with lower Z-orders.

Since the overlay would need to be static content (so it could apply to each page) you'd have to put in into one of the edge regions with the region's extent set so that it overlaps the region-body. Different FO implementations may vary in how they place the areas involved, so it will require some testing to determine if what you want will work with a particular implementation.

This problem can also be addressed using a PDF post-process using a tool. Adding an overlay to every page of a PDF is a pretty simple operation. See www.pdfzone.com or www.planetpdf.com for a list of likely candidate tools.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber