[xsl] "Instantiating a template" ?

Subject: [xsl] "Instantiating a template" ?
From: Sony Antony <santony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Nov 2003 14:22:29 -0500
Following are a bunch of questions I had while reading XSLT books.

1. I saw a mention about "data driven" vs "template driven" paradigms
for XSLT transformations. But I could not see any detailed description
of these 2 fundamentally different strategies. I thought XSLT is
essentially data driven with the input XML solely deciding which
templates to pick for execution.

2. I also saw a lot of mention about "Instantiating" a template. What
exactly is "Instantiating". I thought its just "executing" the template
like a subroutine.

3. Is there a technique/function that will show me the type of a node (
Element vs Attribute vs text ) at run time.

4. What s the difference between the following 3 template defs
<xsl:template match="*">
<xsl:template match="node()">
<xsl:template match="//*">

5. If I have the following 2 templates
<xsl:template match="*"> stuff1 </xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="a/b/c"> stuff2 </xsl:template>

which one will get executed if I have a nested  element c inside element
b which is nested inside a ( a is not the document element )

Thanks in advance
--sony

--
Sony Antony <santony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>