Re: [xsl] xsl:output element

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:output element
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:03:22 GMT
> I am not sure what to put in the ouput element under stylesheet delaration
> in order to get the output to look like this:

You have <xsl:value-of select="entrydata/text" /> and your text nodes
have a line end after the comma, so your result tree should have a #10
character after each comma.
If you are using the xml or html output methods then a #10 in the result
tree may be serialised as #10 or #13 or a #10#13 pair depending on the
whim of your system. These days most editors will display any of these
combinations as a line end, given a bit of encouragement.

Of course if you produce html and look at it in a browser, a newline
renders as a space, as always in html.

> i tried using  method="html" and indent="yes" but it doesnt work?

indent=yes allows the system to indent elements in places where the
extra white space would not affect the rendering in a browser. But your
stylesheet produces no elements, so indent=yes does nothing.

I cut your example from your mail and ran it through saxon, and got
linebreaks as expected:

$ saxon v.xml v.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
1,