Re: [xsl] Linus and XML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Linus and XML
From: Peter Hickman <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:23:54 +0000
Bob Foster wrote:
Anyhow, the basic flaw in Torvalds' rant is that however easy it is to design a syntax for a little language, it is easier not to design a syntax; however easy it is to write a parser, it is easier not to write a parser.

Bob Foster

I think what Linus was all het up about was the inappropriate use of xml, for the example he gave xml (even if done correctly) is overkill. You want to read a small configuarion file? Load up a monster xml parser just to extract the eight bytes you require.

I am coming to regret that I used xml to store knowledgebases for my expert system, parsing the file adds a not inconsiderable startup cost to the program and amounts to half the code I have to maintain. The xml file itself is only 30%-40% data and the rest is xml markup.

Trouble with a hammer is that everything looks like a nail - and I have been using xml too much.