[xsl] Re: Fixed Line Length Output

Subject: [xsl] Re: Fixed Line Length Output
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:45:49 +0100
"Cynthia DeLaria" <cdelaria@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:CE54CE22EF3A65438885197A240E408BC576E5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Here it is, done with 1/3 of the code, no imported stylesheets, and
> without relying on FXSL (which I do not have available on my production
> environments).

Sorry, you just missed to provide your source xml document and to say what
you wanted the transformation to do.

In case you wanted to perform intelligent text-splitting into lines
honouring word boundaries (I haven't tried to analize your code to see what
it does on non-existing xml source) then this is a good achievement.

However, the FXSL solution is here just to be used -- you simply call the
"str-split-to-lines" template to do the job.

As you have noticed correctly, there's nothing that FXSL does that cannot be
re-implemented. The purpose of FXSL is to save you from all that work. It
does this by providing very generic design patterns (e.g. using higher-order
functions and partial application) that solve a big group of very general
types of problems (not known in advance).

FXSL also help you think on more general terms by conecting these general
design patterns and finding similarities between problems, which in practice
may look quite different.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.