Re: [xsl] how to estimate speed of a transformation

Subject: Re: [xsl] how to estimate speed of a transformation
From: Daniel Veillard <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:30:01 +0100
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 05:35:13PM +0400, David Tolpin wrote:
> How can I ensure that differences between processors cause linear changes in speed? How
> can I predict space consumtion?

  You can't ! Well not in a reasonable way IMHO:

Processors like Saxon and jd use the fact that their implementation
language is garbage-collected to reuse nodes in things like node-set()
implementation. xsltproc usually can't do this kind of things. this
also mean you cannot predict the cost of an stylesheet execution
because you would have to model the cost of the garbage collection
which may occur asynchronously, during the transform, after the transform
or any combination of those depending on the complexity of the stylesheet,
the size of the data, the memory pressure inside the JVM, etc ...

The estimation of the complexity cannot simply be derived from a simple
parsing and analysis of the stylesheet. It depends on the processor
implementation, the implementation of the JVM if using one, and on the
version of the processor used.

Daniel

daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
http://veillard.com/ |