[xsl] Re: Re: Unbounded element grouping/concatenation

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Unbounded element grouping/concatenation
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 06:53:22 +0100
> Dimitre, could you help me with a DVC algorithm for what I'm trying
> to do? I'm not sure how to apply it to this problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Ramaan

Ramaan,

I don't have a good idea of what exactly recursive algorithm you have to
solve this problem.

It seems to me that such a recursive algorithm would process the immediate
following while it is of type="continuation".

If this is not the case, please, let me know what exact algorithm you are
using and then it would be possible to consider re-writing it in the DVC
style.

If this is the case, I think DVC cannot be used here, as the length of the
list is not known in advance.

To put it in other words, this is not a recursion that processes the
elements of a *known* list, but one that scans a list to find a specific
element (in this case record with type="normal").

Often something like binary search can be used to speed up such linear
recursion, but I don't know if this can be used in this specific case.

So, it seems that on non-trivial (very short) inputs recursion will not be
faster than the non-recursive method you used. The recursive algorithm could
be fast if it used tail recursion and this was optimized by the XSLT
processor you're using. From another thread in this list it appears that
only Saxon and JD provide some (undefined) form of tail-recursion
optimization.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.