Re: [xsl] FO to format unstructured XML containing "tabs"

Subject: Re: [xsl] FO to format unstructured XML containing "tabs"
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:56:29 -0500
At 2003-12-16 11:54 -0500, Kyle Partridge wrote:
I've decided to take your advice, Ken, and just try to focus on the
"what FO output do I want" part of the problem...but this is proving
harder than I expected.

Actually, this is good ... because it means that you are saving all of the time of writing XSLT for a target that you haven't yet determined. Focusing on the XSL-FO first will establish what will and will not work in your situation.

The only thing it doesn't do right is, there's no consistency where the
tabs are "set" to. I get:

item     item2     item3
item4     item5 goes on until it reaches the end of the line and finally
wraps around, which is OK

When what I really want is:

item     item2     item3
item4    item5 goes on until it reaches the end of the line and finally
wraps around, which is OK

ASCII art sometimes doesn't reflect a lot of nuance ... are you just showing that item5 begins to the right of item2?

Where do you want item3 if item2 is longer than the tab location?

My gut feel is that you'll get close to what you want by using inline containers, but that depends on what you want to do with badly-behaved data.

-- North America (Washington, DC): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-02-09 Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training for XSLT and XSL-FO world-wide: please contact us for the details

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc