[xsl] Getting rid of xmlns="" attributes

Subject: [xsl] Getting rid of xmlns="" attributes
From: "Allen, Erik" <eallen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:22:33 -0700
	I've been using XSL for a few months now and I've been given a
request for a transformation of our XML document into another XML
document, with only some slight changes. One of the changes is to remove
a xml:space="preserve" attribute, but I consider that a trivial problem
that I can easily solve. (I'm just explicitly writing the element with
the two other attributes that appear.) The bigger problem is that I need
to add two namespaces to the XML.
	From what I've read on this list, the best place to do something
like that is to place the namespace definitions within the
<xsl:stylesheet> element. I've done that, but now all the child elements
have xmlns="" appearing within them. My XSL looks like this:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'
			xmlns="http://tempuri.org/FormSchema.xsd";

xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3c.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
			version = '1.0'>

<xsl:output method="xml"/>

<xsl:template match="/template">
	<template>
		<xsl:attribute name="version">
			<xsl:value-of select="@version"/>
		</xsl:attribute>
		<xsl:attribute name="readVersion">
			<xsl:value-of select="@readVersion"/>
		</xsl:attribute>
		<xsl:copy-of select="*"/>
	</template>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

	The transformation appears to work fine, except, as I said, the
child elements of the root <template> element, all have the attribute
xmlns="". A short snippet of it would be this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<template xmlns="http://tempuri.org/FormSchema.xsd";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3c.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; version="3"
readVersion="3">
  <exportTimeStamp xmlns="">
    <date>2003-12-29</date>
    <time>15:31:34</time>
  </exportTimeStamp>
  <templateInfo xmlns="" name="" id="1139410602" revision="1">
  </templateInfo>
</template>

	I've found that if I change the namespace in the
<xsl:stylesheet> from xmlns to xmlns:y, then I don't get the rogue
attribute, but that is also giving me the incorrect namespace. The
source XML does not have any namespaces defined within it, and I think
that I read somewhere that the <xsl:copy-of> might have issues with
that.
	Is there anyway to get the namespaces to come out correctly,
without giving me the xmlns=""?

	Erik Allen