RE: [xsl] self closing elements with attributes

Subject: RE: [xsl] self closing elements with attributes
From: "Martinez, Brian" <brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:09:48 -0700

In XSLT 1.0, the only way to generate XHTML is to use the XML output method.
That will correctly generate close tags for all elements.  Keep in mind,
though, that most processors will minimize empty elements when serializing
most XHTML elements, but it can be an issue if you create a textarea box
with no text--it will be serialized as <textarea . . . />, which will cause
IE (at least) to choke--it doesn't parse the tag correctly, so all of the
XHTML following the textarea box appears as text in the box instead of being
rendered by the browser.

XSLT 2.0 will offer XHTML as a native output method.

hth,
b.

| brian martinez                           brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| lead gui programmer                                    303.357.3548 |
| cheap tickets, part of trip network                fax 303.357.3380 |
| 6560 greenwood plaza blvd., suite 400           englewood, co 80111 |
| cendant travel distribution services   http://www.cheaptickets.com/ |