[xsl] Re: How to get   in HTML

Subject: [xsl] Re: How to get   in HTML
From: yguaba@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:59:40 -0200
On 7 Jan 2004 at 13:37, Jiang, Peiyun wrote:

> I wonder how XSLT treats these entites. Can you give me some general
> information on this?

An XSLT stylesheet is an XML document, so only XML entities ("<"
for "<", "&gt;" for ">", "&amp;" for "&", "&quot;" for a double
quotation mark, and "&apos;" for a single quotation mark a.k.a.
apostrophe) can be used in XSLT stylesheets. That's why you need to
escape the ampersand in the HTML entity "&nbsp;" with "disable-output-
escaping", as suggested by some of our colleagues.

XML also allows you to use references to any unicode character; the
easiest way (in my humble opinion) to produce these references is to
type an ampersand (&), followed by a pound sign (#), followed by the
letter "x", followed by the unicode code for the character you want,
followed by a semi-colon (;). The unicode code for the letter "a" is
61, so the reference in XML that produces an "a" is "&#x61;" (minus
the quotes, of course).

For unicode tables of every character known to man (and woman), go to
http://www.unicode.org/charts/ .

Take care,

Erik