Re: [xsl] Re: Re: Cross-browser API

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Re: Cross-browser API
From: Daniel Veillard <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:58:54 +0100
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:49:39PM +0100, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> are dead slow. I wish someone built a pluggable interface to libxml2

  Hum this seems to be in the wrong list...
  W.r.t. "a pluggable interface to libxml2 for validation", I will
note that DTD validation cannot really be implemented based on
a simple parser result, it's very tricky to try to do fully without
really plugging in the parser. For other validation process (RNG/WXS)
I don't see any special problem building them on top of the existing
interfaces, anyway followup should go to xml@xxxxxxxxx

> (for validation) and libxslt. Of course the memory management and
> threading problems are somewhat discouraging, beside the need to

  Hum, libxml2 memory management is relatively flexible. If you mean
in XSLT, well libxslt was implemented per XSLT-1.0 which didn't
require reference counting or other garbage collecting mechanims
over nodes sets, and this building assumption has been brilliantly
violated by the node-set() and various EXSLT extensions since. Shit
happens when the requirement changes dramatically between conception
and final deployment in any software project ...
  W.r.t. threading, I don't see the point either, a lot of people
seems to use libxslt in threaded environment without troubles apparently,
the stylesheets are kept read-only once compiled, so this eases things
a lot.

> work around GPL (read: no direct linking).

  As someone pointed out the libraries are under the MIT Licence.
Followups to xml@xxxxxxxxx or xslt@xxxxxxxxx please, we are getting
mostly off topic for the general list :-)

Daniel

daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
http://veillard.com/ |