[xsl] Transform schema to web-form - algorithm needed

Subject: [xsl] Transform schema to web-form - algorithm needed
From: "Andrew Maclean" <andyjmaclean@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 08:01:09 +0000
Dear all,

I am trying to write xsl that will create an upload form that will correspond to an xsd file. The idea is that when the schema changes, the web-page that allows the user to upload XML will adapt, ensuring that what is sent can always be validated.

It's been a couple of weeks now and I've picked up a range of XSL skills (thanks in no small part to this group) but I'm still nowhere near a solution. I think my logic - the algorithm - is flawed. I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted something similar if they could give me some pointers on how to continue.

Basically my xsl code scans the xsd file and declares variables corresponding to every <xsd:element> <xsd:simple-type> and every <xsd:complex-type> it finds. References to other variables are included in these variables. Since everything in the xsd is ultimately based on a simple type (like xsd:string) my linking template can take a complex element and (through recursion) represent it as a series of HTML form components. After days of trying however the performance is slow (1 min plus) and there are still ommissions in the final created form.

Is there a well-known algorithm for this kind of problem?

Thanks,

Mr Andrew Maclean