RE: [xsl] Debugging XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Debugging XSLT
From: David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:21:49 -0000
David Tolpin wrote:
    no. It is not. There is no such  thing as document type in
    XSLT except for the validation kludge. I believe that it
    cannot be added to the language as it has been done. Either
    a document type is  a part of the language, and that would
    be very unfortunate to have XML Schema used for that, with
    its errata exceeding in size the specification; or it
    should not be done within the language.

    How can I assert that the stylesheet produces a nice-looking XHTML?
    Since browsers for XHTML already exist, isn't it rather
    simple to just launch a browser from XSLT 2.0 stylesheet
    and just see whether the result is nice?

    Both of us realize that hte latter is nonsense.  I hope so.
    But referring to  XML Schema from XSLT is exactly the same nonsense.

James Clark and his NRL is tackling this problem.
It defines a validation for each 'sub tree' in the same namespace,
hence if xhtml and xslt were the two namespaces in use,
the stylesheet is chopped up into snippets and validated
against the appropriate schema, using one of a number of
validation tools.

http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/nrl.html

Regards daveP

-