Re: [xsl] Problem with xslt recursion

Subject: Re: [xsl] Problem with xslt recursion
From: Roopesh Kumar <roopeshkumar_in@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:27:41 -0800 (PST)
Hi..
Thanks a lot David, for the quick reply and putting up
with the inconsistencies in the code that i sent..
Taking your explaination I have solved the problem by
saying..

<xsl:value-of
select="ResourceTypeSet/Type[number($Index)]"/>

instead of
<xsl:value-of select="ResourceTypeSet/Type[$Index]"/>

The purpose is solved but i want to know if it is the
right thing to do....

Also i have a very long standing problem with
specifying dynamic xpaths...

Suppose my xml is

<a>
  <b>
     <c>try</c>
  </b>
</a>

and my xsl is something like...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:variable name="path">c</xsl:variable>
<!-- Now i am trying to access the dynamic path a/b/c
-->
<xsl:value-of select="/a/b/$path"/>
<!-- The error shown is Nodetest expected..-->

<!-- Next i try concatenating the values in a variable
-->

<xsl:variable name="fullpath"
select="concat('/a/b/',$path)"/>

<!-- and then try to access the value for this path
-->

<xsl:value-of select="$fullpath"/>
<!-- Here the xpath /a/b/c is displayed. So how do i
use the variable path to actually get the value for
that path which happens to be "try" in this case-->

</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

--- David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   and i have a recursive call to a template whose
>   function is to concatenate all the values with the
> tag
>
> You don't need recursion to do that
> <xsl:copy-of select="Type/text()"/>
> is all you need.
>

> However
>
> <xsl:value-of select ="ResourceTypeSet/Type[$In]"/>
>
> I assume thst isn't your actual code as $In is not
> defined, assuming
> that you have
>
> <xsl:value-of select
> ="ResourceTypeSet/Type[$Index]"/>
>
> then your problem is that the short hand Type[3] for
> Type[position()=3]
> only tales place if the thing in teh [] is a number.
>
> $Index starts off as a number
> <xsl:with-param name="Index" select="1"/>
>
> but then you redeclare it to be a result tree
> fragment
> <xsl:with-param name="Index"><xsl:value-of
> select="$Index+1"/></xsl:with-param>
>
> If you use a result tree fragment as a boolean then
> it is always true as
> it corresponds to a non empty node set so
>
> ResourceTypeSet/Type[$Index]
>
> is
> ResourceTypeSet/Type[true()]
>
> which is
> ResourceTypeSet/Type
>
> ie it selects all the Tyope nodes, then
> <xsl:value-of
>
> always returns the value of (only) the first node
> selected, so you will
> always get the first one back.
>
> David
>

> --
> http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew

> This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star
> Internet. The
> service is powered by MessageLabs. For more
> information on a proactive
> anti-virus service working around the clock, around
> the globe, visit:
> http://www.star.net.uk

=====
Luv