[xsl] XslBricks: Rapid XSL Stylesheet Development Library

Subject: [xsl] XslBricks: Rapid XSL Stylesheet Development Library
From: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:10:49 -0800 (PST)
Greetings,

We have developed an XSL library (as a part of Syntext Serna), that
actually may be used standalone. XslBricks serves three main purposes:

- Allows to create simple XSL stylesheets for arbitrary XML
  documents very easy and rapidly (from 5 to 30 minutes).
- XSL stylesheet that uses XslBricks produces not only XSL-FO, but also HTML.
- XslBricks contains popular, reusable XSL modules, e.g. XHTML.

So, XslBricks may be used as kick-start for developing a new XSL
stylesheet from scratch (especially for newbies). For example this
short XSL stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
                xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
  <xsl:include href="path_to_xsl_bricks/fo/fo.xsl"/>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Is *enough* to get XSL-FO (or HTML) view of an arbitrary XML document
with the default templates.

If you want to show an element with special decorations, say, section
title to look like "h1" HTML, you create a template call as short as
this:

<xsl:template match="section/title">
  <xsl:call-template name="h1"/>
</xsl:template>

Single XslBricks stylesheet included with XSL-FO backend or with HTML
backend will produce correspondingly XSL-FO or HTML.

We would like to get your feedback: what other templates may be useful
in XslBricks, what parameters should we add to this or that XslBricks
template, etc.

Currently XslBricks library is available as a part of Syntext Serna
(free fully functional trial is available at:
http://www.syntext.com/products/serna/index.htm ).

If community finds XslBricks useful we are going to make it a
standalone (and of course free) package. XslBricks documentation is
available at:
http://www.syntext.com/products/serna/doc/xslbricks/index.htm

Feel free to send comments and feature requests to
serna-users@xxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.

-- Syntext team