[xsl] Re: Re: Re: Network diagram - node set intersection

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Re: Network diagram - node set intersection
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:21:28 +0100
<cknell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:B0018932674@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I've looked over the DTD, I hope I won't get slapped on the wrist for
being off-topic, but I think the answer to one more question will settle the
matter of graphML for me. It appears that an edge can have one source and
one target. If true, that means that I can't use it.

> What appears to be ambiguous is, I suspect, merely the fact that in the
model I am representing a node can have more than one predecessor node and
more than one successor node. The nodes represent tasks and the edges
represent a temporal relationship between them. The temporal relationships
are Start-Start, Finish-Start, and Finish-Finish.

> This means that a task may have a Finish-Start relationship to more than
one successor task. That is to say in my original diagram, Task B and Task C
cannot begin until Task A is complete, but there is no temporal relationship
between Task B and Task C. Similarly, Task D cannot start until both Task B
and Task C are complete.

> My review of the DTD seems to preclude using graphML to represent such a
model. Do I understand this correctly?

It seems to me that you are mixing nodes with edges.

An edge always has one source and one target.

However, for the types of graphs described by graphML many edges may leave
one node, many edges may enter one node, there may be more than one edge
that leaves a nodeA and enters a node B. Such kinds of graphs are probably
the most complex  -- they are called multigraph.

The fact that one node in your model can have more than one parent means
that there may be more than one edge entering this node -- something fully
supported by graphML.

Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev,
FXSL developer,