RE: [xsl] Embedded Xsl

Subject: RE: [xsl] Embedded Xsl
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:18:48 -0000
The answer depends on which XSLT processor you are using. But most processor
APIs provide some way of separating the parsing and transformation phases,
so that you can parse a source document once into a tree in memory, and then
transform it multiple times using different stylesheets.

Doing the 7 transformations using different stylesheets is probably just as
good as combining the stylesheets into one (which you could do, for example,
using modes). In Saxon, one advantage of combining them is that you could
re-use the indexes built to support keys.

A caveat if you are using Saxon is that the obvious (portable) way to do
this is to build a DOM first, and then supply the DOM as input to each of
the transformations. But a DOM is much bigger and much less efficient than
using Saxon's own tree model. I'm fairly sure that similar considerations
apply to other XSLT processors too.

Michael Kay