Re: [xsl] Schema-aware processors - W3C schemas only?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Schema-aware processors - W3C schemas only?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:26:18 GMT
> In XSLT 2.0, are schema aware processors required to recognize W3C
> schemas (as opposed to say, RELAX-NG)?

yes and no, a schema aware processor has to be able to take as input a
data model which is annotated with types. The most obvious way of making
such a thing is to validate using xsd schema and hope your system uses
the mapping from an XSD PSVI to the data model. But data models can be
made from anything: you don't have to use xsd you don't even have to use
xml.  I think it is conforming if a system accepts some type enhanced
relax ng schema instead of or as well as xsd schemas in the schema
imports instruction, although the typing in Xpath 2 is so heavily
slanted towards xsd types that the type library you layer over relax ng
would have to look a lot like xsd (unfortunately).

Of course, unless _someone_ other than Michael Kay. steps up and
implements XSLT2, there may never be an XSLT2 at all, I think it would
be hard to get out of CR if all but one XSLT implementor boycots XSLT2
and stays at XSLT1.

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew