Re: [xsl] Omnimark vs. XSL (Saxon) Challenge

Subject: Re: [xsl] Omnimark vs. XSL (Saxon) Challenge
From: Michael Müller-Hillebrand <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:00:24 +0100
On 16.03.2004 (21:26 Uhr +0100), bry@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>well I have a lot of stuff in a language not
>xslt to clear up right now, and saxon is not
>running to good on my system at the moment
>so I can't sit and play with it but some
>observations:

Thanks!

>just reading through your input xml I get
>the feeling that what you actually mean is
>that if there isn't a colspan then the
>colspan= 1, is that correct. So I figure
>that in that case checking if @colspan is
>greater than 1 is redundant, one should just
>check if @colspan exists.
>
>However in that case isn't this the same as
>what you're looking for:
>
><xsl:value-of select="sum($root//row
>[1]/entry/@colspan) + count($root//row
>[1]/entry[not(@colspan)])"/>

Well, colspan="1" would be legal, so I checked the value. But your way of adding is definitely more elegant.

>I really don't know what the random-nodes.r
>and c are for, not having much time here but
><xsl:variable name =" random-nodes-r "
>select =" document('')//* " />
><xsl:variable name =" random-nodes-c "
>select =" document('')//* " />
>
>is redundant, since variables in xslt are
>constants you only need declare one of these
>and then use that one all the time.

I use this set of nodes just for the sake of looping a certain number of times. In Jeni Tennison's book "XSLT and XPath On The Edge" it is called "The Piez Method". You are right, I don't need two variables (just an old habit...).

Thanks,

- Michael