Re: [xsl] Symbol handling in XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Symbol handling in XSLT
From: Alex <alexscott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:59:10 +0000
Hi again,

I just noticed this in the output code as displayed in ie: charset=UTF-16"
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-16">

I am not sure where that is coming from though.

---
Alex.

Robert Koberg wrote:

I forgot to mention that in Win IE you can right click on the page and rollover the 'Encoding' menu item to see if the encoding matches what you are trying to send.

On OSX Safari you can get the encoding from the bottom of the 'View' menu.

Also forgot to say that the xsl:output has the encoding set to UTF-8.

best,
-Rob

Robert Koberg wrote:

Michael Kay wrote:

# # There is an actual '?' in the html source,

How do you know? Did you look at it with a hex editor? Or with some other
piece of software that may or may not be displaying it correctly?

If you are using some webserver to send the rendering to the client, you might want to check what it is sending. We are currently experiencing a problem on a new server (Redhat 3.0 ES) that uses Apache 2.0 with the directive DefaultCharset set to UTF-8; this is on top of Caucho's Resin servlet container. I have set resin and the serlvets to return UTF-8. When going straight to resin (i.e. http://domain:8080/webapp) the characters display correctly, sending UTF-8. When going first through Apache (i.e. http://domain/webapp) the resulting charset in the browser is something other than UTF-8 (in IE it is similar to ISO-8859-1 'western-1252' if I remember correctly).

don't know how to fix this...

best,
-Rob

Michael Kay