[xsl] identifying the specific comments associated with an element

Subject: [xsl] identifying the specific comments associated with an element
From: avi paradise <aparadise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:10:18 -0500
I would like to process data that is in the following format.

<dataItems>
     <!-- this is a comment about the first item -->
     <item name="itemName1">I1</item>

     <!-- this is a comment about the second item -->
     <!-- this is a follow on comment for 2nd item -->
     <item name="itemName2">I2</item>

     <!-- this is a comment about the third item -->
     <!-- 3rd item also has an additional comment line -->
     <item name="itemName3">I3</item>

     <!-- this is a comment about the fourth item -->
     <item name="itemName4">I4</item>
</dataItems>

In particular I would like to be able to  process one item at a time as
is customarily done with <xsl:apply-templates select="/dataItems/item" />

What I don't understand how to do is associate the comments with the appropriate data items.
For instance, how would I process this data to convert the comments into attributes as follows:

<dataItems>
<item name="itemName1" comment="this is a comment about the first item">I1</item>

<item name="itemName2" comment="this is a comment about the second item. this is a follow on comment for 2nd item">I2</item>

<item name="itemName3" comment="this is a comment about the third item. 3rd item also has an additional comment line">I3</item>

<item name="itemName4" comment="this is a comment about the fourth item">I4</item>
</dataItems>

Or how would I select the item whose name is "itemName3" along with it's comments? i.e call
<xsl:apply-templates select="/dataItems/item/[@name = 'itemName3']" /> and within the item template grab the comments
<!-- this is a comment about the third item -->
<!-- 3rd item also has an additional comment line -->

Thanks, ap