RE: [xsl] Experience with XSLT in IE6?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Experience with XSLT in IE6?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:02:59 -0500
Hi Jacob,

Here is an answer form a practitioner using client side transformations in
several real life solutions projects.

a) Yes you can use IE6 to transform on the client side XML documents. As
long as you stick to XSLT 1.0 you'll be OK.
b) Do not use Mozilla it's still very buggy. The implementation doesn't have
the expected level of support. Don't take my words for granted and make some
trials. If you want, I can send to you a simple transform conforming to XSLT
1.0 that work with IE and doesn't work with Mozilla. And no the stylesheet
is not tricky.
c) I have not encountered any problems with cached stylesheets in IE6.
d) Sorry there are no books on the subject, most of them are still stuck to
the 60s based on a server centric model. Their view of the world is a kind
of reincarnation of the mainframe era. I am just kidding :-) They talk
mostly about server side transformation but very little on client side
transformation.
e) The thing to check is that the clients have the same version of MSXML.dll
I would suggest you include an <object> element pointing to a cab to install
it if the required version is not present on a workstation. I encountered
several problems because of MSXML versions.
f) You can use the DOMS to manipulate 1) the XML document, b) the output, c)
the XSLT. All three DOMs are simultaneously present. This could be
tremendously useful but also a drawback if the transformed XML document is
big. All the DOMs are taking memory space.
g) If you create rich internet components from XSLT transform be cautious
with memory leaks or with some error conditions caused by javascript. IE has
some memory leaks.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me, I'll be glad to
help to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin