RE: [xsl] xsl problem (xalan:nodeset)

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl problem (xalan:nodeset)
From: "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_l.delmelle@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:34:17 +0200

<snip />
> I dont really understand what this does (being the noob that i am)
> especially the exclude-result-prefixes.

Hi,

The xmlns:xalan-part declares the xalan namespace to be in scope for the
stylesheet, the exclude-result-prefixes prevents the 'xalan:'-prefix from
turning up in your resulting XML. (IIC you could also use
'extension-element-prefixes' to mark the extension namespace-prefix...)

The point is that a solution to your initial question doesn't exist in
standard XSLT 1.0. Using the nodeset-extension can help you solve it, but
... (see below)

> I use a java xslt processor (org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process), so
> when i use the xalan namespace, can i process this stylesheet with other
processors
> too?

The xalan namespace is intended for xalan-specific extensions, so you would
normally not be able to run the same stylesheet through, say, Saxon without
problems.
I think EXSLT's version of nodeset would be a better choice if you really
needed it to be processor-independent, as this is an attempt at
standardizing the extensions across different processors. (check
http://www.exslt.org )

Then again, a processor doesn't *have to* support EXSLT, so it's never a
100% guarantee for portability.

Cheers,

Andreas