Re: [xsl] Dmoz xml structure sort

Subject: Re: [xsl] Dmoz xml structure sort
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:11:51 -0700
John Hamman wrote:
I love it, great solution.

Question though,
Is there a way to apply this idea to this structure?

I am not clear on exactly what you are asking (and if you are asking me).

First, are you familiar with Topic Maps?  Here is an article:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/11/topicmaps.html
this might be what you are trying to do.

If I guess at your full question that you want to use the example XSL I provided to style your Topics structure, then what I had shown is not really a match for your non-hierarchical structure. I believe it is not the best structure. Are you equating the file system with the ID strings? For example, you have:

<Topic r:id="Base/General_Information">
  <tag catid="2"/>
  <d:Title local="en-US">General Information</d:Title>
  <near resource="Base/General_Information/Staff_Directory"/>
</Topic>

<Topic r:id="Base/General_Information/Staff_Directory">
  <tag catid="8"/>
  <d:Title local="en-US">Staff Directory</d:Title>
</Topic>

and say you have 100s of pages in Topic/r:id="Base/General_Information".

If you are using the IDs to build links to your resources and you need to change a folder name and therefore you need to change the ID of the resource AND the IDs of ALL the children. If you nest topics and rename or move things you simply travel up and down the hierarchy to build things like links.

Make sense?

You need to provide more details on what you are trying to acheive.

best,
-Rob