Re: [xsl] Getting position while ignoring empty elements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Getting position while ignoring empty elements
From: David Elsmore <delsmore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:26:41 +0100
Jarno,

Thanks very much, that's a great help.

David

Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to find the position of an element while ignoring all elements containing no text. For example, given the following:

<furniture>
<item>table</item>
<item/>
<item>chair</item>
</furniture>

I would like to output:

Furniture
1. table
2. chair

Should I match all the <item> elements and then only process the ones containing text or should I be matching only those items that are not empty?

Select only those that you want for processing, i.e.

<xsl:apply-templates select="item[text()]"/>

that way you can use position() for numbering.

Cheers,

Jarno - Assemblage 23: Document (Original Mix)

-- David Elsmore IT Development Manager School of Social Sciences and Law Oxford Brookes University Tel: 01865 484176 email: delsmore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx