Re: [xsl] how to split one xml to multiple xml files

Subject: Re: [xsl] how to split one xml to multiple xml files
From: Qin Ding <qding@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:17:23 -0400
I tried to split a big xml file into multiple xml files based on the
<pg-nbr>.  If I have this:
<chapter>
   <section id="sc1">
       <subsection id="sb1">
          <pg-nbr id="p1"></pg-nbr>
          <pg-nbr id="p2"></pg-nbr>
          <pg-nbr id="p3"></pg-nbr>
          <pg-nbr id="p4"></pg-nbr>
       </subsection>
       <subsection id="sb2">
          <pg-nbr id="p5"></pg-nbr>
          <pg-nbr id="p6"></pg-nbr>
          <pg-nbr id="p7"></pg-nbr>
       </subsection>
   </section>
   <section id="sc2">
       <subsection id="sb3">
          <pg-nbr id="p8"></pg-nbr>
       </subsection>
       <subsection id="sb4">
          <pg-nbr id="p9"></pg-nbr>
          <pg-nbr id="p10"></pg-nbr>
       </subsection>
   </section>
</chapter>

I want to split above files to this file:
sc1sb1p1.xml
<chapter>
   <section id="sc1">
      <subsection id="sb1">
         <pg-nbr id="p1><pg-nbr>
      </subsection>
   </section>
</chapter>

sc1sb1p2.xml
<chapter>
   <section id="sc1">
      <subsection id="sb1">
         <pg-nbr id="p2><pg-nbr>
      </subsection>
   </section>
</chapter>

sc1sb1p3.xml
<chapter>
   <section id="sc1">
      <subsection id="sb1">
         <pg-nbr id="p3><pg-nbr>
      </subsection>
   </section>
</chapter>

etc and etc.

How do I write xsl logic?  How do I automatically generate the output file
name?  How do I go through the loop to create many, many smaller xml files?
In above example, I should have 10 xml files created.   Someone suggests
that I use xsl:document href="" to output the xml files.  I tried to use
that but I can't even compile my xsl file.  Can someone show me how to do
this, please?  Thank you very much.

Qin

for such purpose.