[xsl] standalone="no"

Subject: [xsl] standalone="no"
From: Mike Ferrando <mikeferrando@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 07:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
Friends,
I have created a stylesheet to convert EAD 1.0 into EAD 2002. The
first step of the package is to use James Clark's SX converting the
SGML into XML.

The stylesheet that converts EAD 1.0 into EAD 2002 gives this
processing instruction in the output EAD 2002 document.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>

Recently, I went to an XML users group meeting and someone said that
the 'standalone' instruction can shut down the processing of the XML
document in some processors.

Should I include 'standalone' in the processing statement? I could
generate the output without it, but I am hesitant to just "leave it
blank". Michael Kay's book (1st edition) indicates that it should be
included in all well formed XML documents.

Mike Ferrando
Washington, DC