RE: [xsl] [xsl fo] xsl to a minimum / statements 'on the fly'

Subject: RE: [xsl] [xsl fo] xsl to a minimum / statements 'on the fly'
From: "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_l.delmelle@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:45:43 +0200

Hi,

<snip what="MK's reply to the OP" />
> yes I know it looks strange (i'm still exploring this
> design/strategy).
>
> My rationale behind this strategy:
>
> I want to put most in xml so I only need 1 xsl file per output
> medium (e.g. pdf, html) but per output medium only
> 1 xsl file is able to generate x different 'reports'.

What exactly do you mean by this? This depends very much on the design of
your stylesheet(s).
You could start from one XML containing a simple indicator for the
designated output (maybe in a node that is a child of the root; you could
also pass this into the transform via an xsl:param ), and process this with
one XSL. The XSL file can include/import other stylesheets, and depending on
the value of the indicator described above, use moded templates to output an
XSL-FO tree, an HTML page, a different XML format...

> disadvantage: For different reportstyles of same data I need
> different xml files.

This will (for the most part anyway) not be necessary. In case you decide to
use xsl:param to feed the output mode into the transform, it is conceivable
to use one (and only one) XML as source for the transform to XSL-FO, HTML...

<snip />
> <elem attr="{expr}">  ??
>
> I don't get it yet but I'll investigate this answer further.
> (I'm not a regular xsl user)

It means that you can do:

<fo:page-sequence master-reference="{$page-layout}">

instead of the faulty code in your OP.

HTH!

Greetz,

Andreas