RE: [xsl] XHTML + XSL -> HTML problem

Subject: RE: [xsl] XHTML + XSL -> HTML problem
From: <Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:15:05 +0300
Hi,

> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
>   xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";;
>   xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";;>

There's a SEMICOLON before the GREATHER-THAN SIGN, that makes your XSLT stylesheet ill-formed XML.

>     <xsl:output method="text"/>

Your question subject says you want to generate HTML, but here you're using text output method. It should be html if you want to generate HTML.

>    <xsl:template match="xhtml:title">
>
>         <xsl:text>title: </xsl:text>
>         <xsl:value-of select="."/>
>         <xsl:text>&#10;</xsl:text>
>     </xsl:template>
>
>     <xsl:template match="p">

This will not match your source because in your source the p elements are in XHTML namespace.

>         <xsl:text>paragraph "</xsl:text>
>         <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
>         <xsl:text>": </xsl:text>
>         <xsl:value-of select="."/>
>         <xsl:text>&#10;</xsl:text>
>     </xsl:template
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> I want to parse it and get the result as
> a HTML page.

Then you need to generate the html etc. elements in one of your templates.

> I parse it via msxsl parser, but I get this error
>
> D:\deepak\buildProcess_2\_tools>msxsl test.xhtml
> test.xsl -o test.html
>
> Error occurred while parsing document.
>
> Code:   0xc00ce50a
> Line:   2
> Column: 70
> The character '>' was expected.

Parser reports the well-formedness errors in your stylesheet.

> Also how and where should I include the statement
> manually inside the
> xhtml file to indicate to parse via the xsl file.
>
> In xml files we include the statement
> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="bcel-fb8.xsl"?>
>
> Is parsing a XHTML via xsl a similar process?

Just serve the XHTML document using MIME-type "application/xhtml+xml" or e.g. "text/xml" and the browsers will process it as an XML document-if they support XML and XSLT.

Cheers,

Jarno