RE: [xsl] Escape caracters

Subject: RE: [xsl] Escape caracters
From: "SMITH Neil" <neil.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:32:02 +0200
> As David Carlisle has just posted, this produces invalid HTML.  Also,
do
> you intend to be producing *XHTML* or *HTML*?  You are doing neither
> right now.
>
> To expand on what David said about doubled escaping, he means that the
> ampersand in the character references is itself escaped with & a m p
;.
> Thus the things that look like character references are only text, and
> the browser shows them just as the output file specifies.
>
> Assuming that you want to generate real HTML, you do not have to put
> your own meta element in, the processor will do it if you simply use
an
> xsl:output element to say what the encoding is and that you want html
> output.  Normally, the processor wouuld create html by default when it
> notices the html element, but in this case, you start with a meta
> element, and that apparently has prevented the processor from
realizing
> what you want.
>
> The only reason you are getting anything viewable in the browser is
> because browsers are so very tolerant of junk.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom P

Hi... me again...

One more thing about these fake character references...

I tried to change the output method to text like this...

<xsl:output     method="text"
                      encoding="ISO-8859-1"/>

(that is from "html" to "text").
And I don't get them any more, but the outputted text is not formatted
(no margins, italic, paragraphs ...).

I hope it can help... I have to finish this project by the end of the
week...

Thanks for your help
Take care,
Neil.