Re: [xsl] Javascript in Xsl using-Xalan-Problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] Javascript in Xsl using-Xalan-Problem
From: Barry Lay <blay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:09:56 -0400
David,

Actually Deepak reposted the question I sent out about a month ago. He seems to have the same problem I have.

Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a set of scripts for assisting development in a rather dynamic project. I had the requirement to build linking code between different databases, some with physical ERwin models, some with logical models, some not modelled at all, and with the usual problem that the models tended to get out of date. My main interest was being able to map logical and physical models within my code.

An example of the problem would be to convert between

PARENT_BIS_CODE

and

ParentBISCode

in both directions. Both end up being values of attributes of a "column" element in an intermediary XML file. The first is the physical name of the column in the database and the second is the logical name used in the Java code. The (JavaScript) code currently recognises that "BIS" is a an acroynym (in the banking business) and thus doesn't lower-case it. There are a number of other business rules that are applied, along with the technical restriction that Oracle's column names can not be longer than 30 characters, requiring that the logical-to-physical mapping be creative in shortening the name if it is too long.

It would appear that the XSLT 2.0 analyze-string function would help quite a bit with this and that may be the direction I will go. I am sure that this is possible in XSLT 1.0 but it didn't seem like the right language for the job.

Thanks,
Barry

M. David Peterson wrote:

Hi Barry,

Wasn't the original question posted by Deepak? Are you and Deepak one in the same or am I missing something here?

Anyway, I've done a lot of work in string manipulation in XSL and would be happy to share with you both code base and expertise if you find yourself in such need.

Best regards,