Re: [xsl] position= and blocks (was And operator usage in XSL)

Subject: Re: [xsl] position= and blocks (was And operator usage in XSL)
From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:34:15 -0500
However, reading the description relative-position I'm not 100% clear what it means for blocks. My initial reading is that it has no effect but I also grant that the description is confusing at best.

Doing an experiment with XEP 3.77 and XSL Formatter 2.5 it appears that relative-position has no effect on blocks. My test instance is below. The first two blocks format the same with XSL Formatter. With XEP, the second block is only 2in wide (the 1.0 spec is ambiguous about whether width= is meaningful on fo:block). The second two blocks are formatted with identical positioning by both formatters.

I suspect that the reason this has never come up is that the way to position things in XSL-FO with block-container.

So while it's interesting academically to know what relative-position *should* do, in practice it has no utility because you'd never use it anyway.

I suspect that the relative-position property is a CSS hold over that was supplanted by block-container relatively late in the development of XSL-FO 1.0. But I'm only guessing.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber