RE: [xsl] transforming xml to text with formatting

Subject: RE: [xsl] transforming xml to text with formatting
From: cknell@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 16:39:16 -0400
"Text", as we normally think of it (ASCII), does not have italic or bold attributes (or font or size attributes, for that). It's just text: A,b,1,(,* .

Rich Text Format (RTF) may suit your purposes. It is found as an alternate format for most Microsoft application files (e.g., Word, Excel, WordPad). Here is a URL for the 1.5 spec (http://www.biblioscape.com/rtf15_spec.htm). Here is a URL for the 1.6 spec (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnrtfspec/html/RTFSpec_1.asp).

You can transform XML directly into RTF or you could go through an intermediate XML format like XSL-FO. You may find this book to be useful, I did (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rtfpg/index.html).
--
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email