Re: [xsl] Advice on selecting a processor

Subject: Re: [xsl] Advice on selecting a processor
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:16:11 -0600
Hi Lisa,

I'm really surprised to hear that you had troubles with Saxon on a 30MB file... I wonder if you didn't specify for the Java VM to use a larger chunk of memory? If that doesn't help then no doubt Mike Kay will be able to help you narrow things down. I'd be interested to see how Saxon.NET (a Saxon 8.0-b port to .NET) performs against your data and stylesheet test(s). Feel free to download the early beta bits (requires the .NET framework) from the projects web site (http://www.x2x2x.org/x2x2x/home) or contact me directly as I would be happy to help test your data and stylesheets on one of our test machines to see if there's a scenario that could help improve performance for you... You've definitely got my curiosity on this as its the larger data file processing that I am personally interested in as far as finding ways to increase performance in real world scenarios.

Let me know... :)

<M:D/>

Lisa Bos wrote:
Can anyone point me to an up-to-date comparison of XSLT processors? I
keep looking and not finding.

I am specifically looking for information that will help me select a
free or commercial processor that:

- can handle very large documents (up to 30MB)
- supports XSLT multiple document output capabilities or an extension
that does something similar (Ideally would like support for v2.0 in all
areas but more important to support large documents)

Already found was unable to use Saxon (ran out of memory on large
documents). MSXML and Xalan-C process documents nicely but can't do
multiple document output from within stylesheet (can I?). Xalan-J works
(using redirect:write) but is abysmally slow (3-4 times as slow as MSXML
or Xalan-C) for the large documents and this will be a big issue in the
target production environment.

Thanks!

Lisa Bos lbos@xxxxxxxxxxxx