Re: [xsl] namespace prefix weirdness

Subject: Re: [xsl] namespace prefix weirdness
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:33:37 -0400
On Aug 17, 2004, at 10:19 AM, Jeni Tennison wrote:

From previous mails, I think that you're eventually generating XHTML,
which again you want to be in the default namespace on output. Again,
you can use a separate stylesheet module for the code that generates
the XHTML in order to avoid xmlns attributes all over your stylesheet
but still have no prefix in the output.

OK, this makes sense, and also makes the code more maintainable. Thanks for the thorough explanation!

Ultimately, I need to handle a variety of options. On output, I'm most interested in being able to generate both XHTML and TeX (because FO processors are just not good enough). I guess that would require completely different stylesheets?

There's also some guys working with bibliographic stuff in TEI who are proposing changes in the bibliographic representation that will make it look a lot like MODS, in fact. So, DocBook v5 will be namespaced, and so will TEI 5. They're also being designed to allow easier mix-and-matching of structures between the two schemas. So, it would seem sensible to try to make the stylesheet(s) flexible enough to handle either.

Finally, I also need to start working with parameters so that I can the code I've written so far would correspond to, say, a cite-class parameter of "author-year," and there'd be other code to deal with, say, footnote/endnote styles, or the numeric style. Alas, I only have so much time to code this stuff aside from writing the book which I need to format with it!

Bruce