Re: [xsl] Variable scope when using imported stylesheets

Subject: Re: [xsl] Variable scope when using imported stylesheets
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:59:19 +0100
> Of course, this means I have to insert the variables
> declaration in every template that is called in this way.

If evaluating the variable is likely to be expensive an alternative is
to pass it as a parameter, so after your top level template that is
processing your document fragment you evaluate the variable then pass it
as a parameter (you would have to declare it and pass it explicty in
every template that is used though).

Alternatively of course you can use XML entity references which can be
used to hold arbitrary fragments of expressions (just as in C you can't
hold an expression in a string valued variable but you can use a #Define
as that is expanded inline by the pre-processor).

If you just want a short way to access the Xpath expression you can do

<!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
<!ENTITY foo "a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j/k/l/m[67]">
]>
<xsl:stylesheet>

<xsl:apply-templates select="&foo;"/>

<xsl:apply-templates select="&foo;"/>

here the entity reference will be expanded by the parser before XSLT
begins so XSLT will see

<xsl:stylesheet>

<xsl:apply-templates select="a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j/k/l/m[67]"/>

<xsl:apply-templates select="a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j/k/l/m[67]"/>

and each of the expressions will be evaluated in the context in which it
appears.

David

http://www.star.net.uk